Mold Remediation - is it worth it?
If you have microbial growth in your home, it is probably a result of water or moisture. While this water or moisture can show up anywhere, it is most likely to be seen in attics, crawl spaces, the insides of walls, or in basements. Places that are dark and wet are mold breeding grounds. Sometimes, an excess of humidity or condensation in your home can also grow mold spores and turn into mold. This is very possible in our humid Mid-Atlantic climate in the metro DC area.
If you have a small patch of mold in your shower, that is something that you can take care of on your own, using a mild bathroom cleaning detergent. Keep in mind, however, that according to the EPA, chlorine bleach is not an approved chemical to remove mold from a residence or building.
If you identify that mold in your home has spread well beyond your bathtub or a small, isolated area then it is likely that you would need to hire a mold remediation professional. Some air duct cleaning professionals are also trained and certified in mold remediation; Dapper Ducts is certified in mold remediation.
Some mold is non toxic while other mold is toxic. This is the main reason why you need a professional cleaner who is licensed in mold remediation. If you try and remove the mold on your own, there is a chance that you could release the mold spores into the air and contaminate the rest of the house. This can cause serious problems for anyone with allergies or respiratory issues as well as those who are in good health.
We often get questions from customers who see mold on an air vent asking if they can clean it themselves. For the reasons discussed above, that is not a good idea. Call Dapper Ducts today if you suspect microbial growth in your heating and ventilation system.
8/1/2018 01:01:32 am
It really helped when you said that chlorine does not remove the mold properly as per the EPA. With that in mind, I will convince my husband to just hire experts instead because we need to make sure that there are no molds. Our son has asthma ever since he was 5 years old, so we can't afford to have molds in our house.
9/4/2018 05:40:53 pm
I like that you mentioned the risk of spreading the spores and infecting the house if you try and take care of mold yourself. This is simply something I don't want to risk. For the health of you and your family it is best to get a professional.
I agree that calling a professional is the best way to avoid mold spores from entering the air in your home. Mold removal services should be contacted immediately at the first signs of mold. My uncle has some mold in his garage, so I'll help him locate a removal service that can fulfill his needs.
Leave a Reply.
The Dapper Ducts team wants you to know all about indoor air quality.